Tips for Protecting your Metal Health (during the pandemic and the riots)
By Gabriela Alban Hidalgo / 3.06.2020
If you are like millions of Americans today ( or like me) you are struggling to keep moving forward in what seems like an increasingly chaotic world. If you are lucky enough to be staying at home working or taking care of a family you know how difficult it is to maintain a healthy rhythm in this new normal.
You might be worried about going outside due to the omnipresence of the virus that has kept us inside for months. You might log in to social media and become overwhelmed by the sound of discord and division. If you are like me you find the troubles of the world truly grating, but then again you know that you have a life to take care of for yourself and for your loved ones.
So now, more than ever I find the need to stay grounded, to find a rhythm that allows me to keep moving forward. Therefore, I wanted to jump on here and share what has helped me.
- 1. Staying grounded and focused: I could bet that everyone, at one point in their lives, has felt overwhelmed by these world’s injustice, poverty, or effects in the environment. These problems are very complex and when we stare at blanket statistics we can easily become overwhelmed, anxious and fall into despair. It seems that whatever we do it will never be enough. However, now I have come to understand that I am not the savior of the world and I have found much peace in the following saying by St. Theresa of Calcutta, “if you want to change the world, go home and love your family”. There is so much peace I find by turning off the loudness of the world and protecting the peace inside of me. This is the only way that I feel truly empowered to do good with the actions and attitudes I choose to take.
- 2. Setting up Habits and completing habits streaks. I believe that we are people of habits and order. We need interior habits and interior order to move forward. I feel like I thrive best when I have a schedule and a task list. While I consider myself to be a very creative person without habit and discipline my life descends into chaos. I can't move forward, I can't accomplish anything and most hurtful of all I can’t create. I have found an app that has helped me a lot with this @Productive Habit Tracker
- 3. Move your body, ideally outside Thousands of people are building at home gyms in their garages. My husband and I built one and 20 minutes a day of exercise have made an incredible difference in our sense of peace and accomplishment. My one suggestion there is to buy equipment that helps your cardio. It is fun to run on the treadmill while looking outside at the front lawn when it's not so safe to go out to a jog.
- 4. Pray / Meditate 30 minutes of prayer and silence with my husband make the world of difference. It keeps me grounded/ focused and helps me protect my interior peace. A 2014 study by Columbia University found that regular prayer and meditation thicken part of the brain’s cortex and could be one of the reasons those practices guard against depression.
- 5. Staying grounded and hydrated with Capuli Tea throughout my day. With it, I stay focused, calmed, and hydrated in a healthy way.
- I start my morning by preparing a full Pot of Capul
- I like the Mindful Lavender which is based on lavender and chamomile.
- Then I take a little time to relax and allow it to steep watching the beautiful fruits rehydrate.
- I love having my Capuli pot next to my working table.
- After a couple of cups, I add more hot water to my pot and I place it in the fridge to drink cold afterwards
- I love a cup of cool Capuli after exercising.!
I hope that everyone is staying healthy and well!